Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A New Year, A New Start?

Happy 2014! I can hardly believe that another year has gone by. It’s weird to think that I have almost completed my first year of teaching. The end seems so close yet so far away. I was so glad to make it to Christmas Break. However, I got stuck in Unalakleet for 31 hours on my way to Anchorage!! THEN, I got stuck in Unalakleet another night on my way back from Anchorage! It was really quite frustrating. I felt really bad for Pippi. She was very very very glad to be back in her cage at home. Nevertheless, I was SO happy to get a break. It was nice getting to see my family and some close friends during my break. I was able to get a lot of rest and began to reflect on the first and second quarter. I came away with some new ideas and a refreshed mind. Seeing everyone in St. Michael was really nice. It’s getting to the point where I can truly call this home. The best part about returning was getting to see my kids running at me when I first arrived.

The first week of school was crazy. It almost felt like I was out of shape. My students were out of shape too. All of the rules needed to be relearned and routines needed to be practiced. It was pretty frustrating, but I’m feeling better as we enter into our 3rd week. It’s really crummy to say, but I feel like all I am doing is scrambling to make sure my kids know enough for the SBAs in April. The pressure feels immense and I can tell that I am easily irritated with my students because I want them to do well, so when they show me less than their best it is really worrisome and disappointing.  As long as I keep everything interesting and lively it should be okay, right?

I’m still teaching music to my students, but this time we are working in more depth on rhythm and musical components (measures, time signature, note names, note values, etc.).  My kids can now read, write, and imitate rhythms! Occasionally, people will make a comment about how music is worthless. This really bugs me, but I try not to let it show. Music is so important to me and I can’t imagine not being able to play my flute or sing. I mean, can you?


Anyway, I’m feeling empowered for this next semester. Although I am nervous for my first “testing” experience, I am excited to see how the school year comes to a close.  

No comments:

Post a Comment