Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Whoosh!


Another quarter is already halfway over! Third quarter has been running in full speed. For the past month I have focused primarily on my Battle of the Books team. I have been the “coach” for the 3rd/4th grade team. We have practices from 4-5pm twice a week. Last weekend I had a sleepover at the school with my team and the middle school team (my roommate is the coach for the middle school team). Although it was exhausting to watch the kids for the evening and keep up with their energy, it was fun watching their excitement over books. We were able to read and discuss questions and started to bond as a team. The kids have done a great job reading the books and are really pulling through. At the end of the week we have our first battle. It will be new to me because battles in the village take place as a Video Teleconference. I’m just hoping for the best!

Life is crazy right now. There is so much to learn and teach and it's already February! My students have been going through a phase of…I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's a lot of energy that is focused in the wrong direction. I'm hoping once the weather gets cold it will get better (it's been in the low to mid 30s!). As a girl that grew up in Alaska I understand how refreshing it is to have warmth. All you want to do is play outside! Usually this antsy type of behavior doesn't really appear until mid March or even April (break up season…I mean Spring). Since it is so warm outside right now I think that we are going to have two "Springs". I don't know how well people will follow what I just wrote. It's a little difficult to describe to those that are not familiar with Alaska. Anyway, my students just feel crazy to me. Tomorrow I am going to be taking a break from some class work and having TWO class council meetings. 

I'm beginning to figure out that I am going to have to reteach my expectations. Everything that we did last semester doesn't feel like it's working. I'm pretty frustrated and my brain is fishing for new ideas to help keep my kids focused, respectful, and responsible. As I think about it now I wonder if I smiled too early. In the past some people have told me that I am too strict or uptight, but now I'm learning that I am being way too nice. I don't know. I feel like I am drowning right now. Hopefully tomorrow's talk will make it a little better. 

On a happier note, my oldest sister had her baby yesterday! I am ecstatic! Actually, my students are too. They have been waiting for February for "Baby Month". When I told them that she had the baby they all jumped out of their seats and ran to me to see if she had sent pictures yet. They could hardly wait! I now have a niece. I can't wait to hold her next month when I travel to Fairbanks for Spring Break. 

Another exciting thing happened yesterday! A high school student that I coached in volleyball last semester gave me an Eskimo name. It was a huge honor. I wasn't sure if she was being real or not at first. She walked into my classroom with a cup of water and told me that she wanted to give me an Eskimo name. The water is to drink after you receive the name. It's understood that the water symbolizes respect. I don't yet want to announce what it is….so in my next post! 

There have been so many ups and downs this past month, but I try really hard to do as my students do: Get over it quickly and pretend like it didn't happen yesterday. Those of you that know me well should know that this is a task that I am really really really really bad at. We'll see how long it will take me to accomplish this task. 

I have added pictures below from some of my January adventures and some from earlier in the school year. More later! There are so many things that happen all at once that it's hard to keep up with it all. Best wishes to all of you! 


 We had a storm so we are enjoying the snow.





 My parking lot includes Hondas (aka 4 wheelers).
 The teachers come home from Christmas. It's a good thing we all went to the Post Office together...

 My new Guspuk!

 I was a crayon for Halloween.


 Agutaq…Eskimo Ice Cream


 My school from afar.

 Movie night at the school.

 The outside of my apartment complex. This building was the original St. Michael school.

 My students are wonderful when they are working hard!



The view from my window. 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. I understood every word of your "early spring" sentiments! During several of my professional development classes/meetings lately, people have mentioned that teachers who are reflective are the most successful. You certainly have that quality going for you! I love that you always find a bright spot, and that you keep going back to figure out what will work better in your classroom. Lucky students to have a teacher who refuses to settle for less than her best! One thing about teaching is that it always feels like there is a way to improve - that is problematic, right? Especially for those of us who truly like perfection. But, I see your photos, read the stories of the ways your students are connecting with you, talk to you about your extended family of teacher/friends, and I know that you are really quite successful. Thanks for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete