Saturday, April 25, 2015

So....Another Year Went By...

Look who decided to write again! The year has proven to be really challenging. While I think I made a good choice moving to 8th grade, I have confirmed my original findings: I do not like teaching middle school. Don't get me wrong, there were good days and my students are pretty sweet, but I have found that I don't have a lot of patience with that age group. I loved getting to see my students from last year, my whole demeanor changed when I was with a younger kid. Nonetheless, it will be quite an adjustment to move back down to elementary. 

It is April and there is still snow and ice. We can still go across the bay by Honda. While there are some perks (aka the tundra is still frozen so I can take the shortcut to school), I really want it to be spring. Although, this week we have reached above freezing! I didn't have to wear a hat or gloves outside today and I was still warm. That is a great feeling.

This year I spent a lot of time with Ryan (my boyfriend) and, of course, working. We have three weeks left in the school year and I am exhausted. I get to school much later and leave school a lot earlier. I am truly burned out. For those of you that don't know, I will not be returning to St. Michael next school year; Ryan and I have decided to relocate to the Mat-Su Valley. As much as I enjoyed living in St. Michael, I need a change of scenery. The past two years have been difficult. There have been some high points and low. In the end, there were more negatives than positives. I am going to miss the friends that I have made here and the students that I have come to love, but I know that it is in my best interest to leave.

Many of my students are very upset that I am leaving and have written me very sweet notes. One girl wrote, "Arah! Why do you have to leave? Stay one more year!" Another girl in class said, "I think I'm going to cry." And one of my favorite letters was the one that read, "I wish my teacher knew that I love her and don't want her to leave." Those were all heartwarming messages and show me that I was loved by many of my students. To top that off, an elder introduced me to her husband and said, "This is Zoe. She teaches 8th grade and does a great job with them. She's a teacher that these kids have needed." I remember that statement and think that maybe I am doing something right. 

With three weeks left in the school year I find myself packing, preparing for goodbyes, lesson planning, spending time with friends, helping with prom, planning a volleyball reunion sleepover, and shedding tears. This will be a hard goodbye as I have many memories. 

Well, my friends, I am bracing myself for the end of the year. I am excited for summer and being close to my family, but it will be hard for a new change. I am going out jobless and hoping for the best. Keep us in your thoughts as Ryan and I make this transition. 


1 comment:

  1. This post made me choke up, Zoe. When you get sweet notes like that from your students, when elders tell others that you are the teacher your students needed, then you have been successful! I know you will be missed in the community. Congratulations on finishing up your second year. It's hard work, but deeply satisfying when everything clicks, right? I know I'm your mom, but I do believe you are a fine teacher.

    ReplyDelete